Sunday, August 5, 2007

Icky Thump

So just the other week I went to a concert at Madison Square Garden, where The White Stripes played some of their new songs from their album Icky Thump. It was a blast, especially since it was my first concert. Loud music to bust your ear drums, overpriced food, and drunken fans doing some overenthusiastic and embarassing dances. Not much more you could wish for (to be honest the concert was, in fact, really awesome).

I must admit though that the opening acts weren't that great. The first one was a country band, where the lead guy had this amazingly shiny and sparkly blue suit (oooooh shiny~!). I am quite sure that if I were into country music I would have enjoyed it, since it did not sound so bad. The second act was just horrendous. I'm not a big fan of metal rock myself, but there are the occasional songs I like to listen to. We just so happened to have a band I have never heard of play almost an hours worth of loud, obnoxious, and terrible metal rock. I swear my ears were bleeding as I gouged my eyes out with my fingernails. Most of the people I went to the concert with went out into the area where you buy food to watch the Mets game. Meanwhile I tried to fall asleep (don't ask, it didn't work too well).

Now it seems that not many people I know have listened to this new album, so here's a sample.

The White Stripes - I'm Slowly Turning Into You

Of course their songs are played by the same 2 members, Meg and Jack White (who, by the way, are not real siblings. They are divorced and yet have managed to fool a lot of the media. They did introduce themselves as siblings at the concert though, tricksy little hobbitses!) They have a good rhythm, and Meg has improved on her drumming skills, although it's still nothing mind-blowing. I love the rest of the songs on the album too (except maybe these two songs that have some sort of Irish ring to it; Sounds sort of out of place, which just so happens to fit the White Stripes' style)

1 comment:

dahippo said...

The beginning didn't even sound like the typical White Stripes stuff I'm used to. I want to hear more of Icky Thump! (gross album title btw...)