Monday, January 7, 2008

Spring Awakening

This is music-related, right?

I haven't seen a Broadway in a really long time and I've been wanting to see "Spring Awakening" ever since I saw the highlights for last year's Tony Awards. So last week, my mom went to the city and scored us two awesome seats for today's matinee. Anyways, "Spring Awakening" is set in 1890s Germany, and it is about teenagers trying to deal with all those typical teen issues (sexuality, homosexuality, abuse, suicide, all that fun stuff) in a society that refuses to acknowledge anything of that sort. Did that make any sense? It's a pretty straightforward plot for a complicated play. Aaand it won 8 Tony Awards last year. Impressive, no?

Guys, this show is amazing, if but a little awkward to watch with my mom since it's pretty forward, i.e. mimicking masturbation and sex on stage --- and not in the way that Avenue Q does it. The only complaint I have is that the main guy spat every word (he was like a human sprinkler) and that was a little gross, but that's besides the point. Bottom line: "Spring Awakening" is pretty damn awesome. All the actors are incredibly talented (and ridiculously young, most of them are around our age and at least one of them is still in HS) and the music is phenomenal. Duncan Sheik wrote the music!!! I love Duncan Sheik. "On A High" is one of my favorite songs ever. I bought the cd (of course, damn my cd addiction) and so if you guys would like any songs, leave a comment.

Below I've posted two videos, courtesy of youtube. Check them out. You won't be disappointed.

The Tony Awards performance that hooked me in, featuring a medley of "Mama Who Bore Me", "The Bitch Of Living", and my personal favorite "Totally Fucked".



"Touch Me" on The View
(this is a really pretty song)

Spring Awakening - Official Site
If you guys are in New York, go see it.

2 comments:

iww923 said...

hahah I bet your mom was amused by the mimicking.

Hannah said...

Ew, Rosie. Haha I kind of want to go see this, but then again I don't have a lot of money. Perhaps there are volunteer ushering positions available? Hmm...