Saturday, December 15, 2007

New York Newbies

Some local (New York) bands/artists/friends that I love and you should love too.

Artist: Gregory and the Hawk
Album: The Boats & Bird EP (2006)
Genre: Indie, Acoustic, Pop
Recommended: Isabelle, Boats and Birds, A Wish
Isabelle, if you're reading this, finally... an Isabelle song! I remember I was listening to that song one day, it showed up on MSN and you asked me about it. GATH is a folk music project formed by Meredith Gordreau (really cute, by the way) in 2003. This is EP is their second album, they released a full-length this year called In Your Dreams so check that out too. I have yet to seen a live gig but hopefully she'll be back on tour and I'll be indulging myself in my own drool puddle while she melts my ear. It's an amazing feeling. Just looking back at some of my older posts... I can't believe this is the first time I mentioned eargasms.

Artist: Reni Laine
Album: American Baby (2007)
Genre: Indie, Alternative, Rock
Recommended: Ghost Inside, American Baby, Choices
Sophomore at Columbia University, writes her own songs, released her debut full-length CD this year, age 19, toured Europe, made an appearance on MTV, featured on Nylon Guys Magazine, geeky (yes!), beautiful voice, gorgeous face... basically makes everyone else looks like shit. I saw her live twice at Pianos and it just keeps on getting better. If you really want to know, her music pretty much makes one feel like they are searching for unicorns and all things pretty in an urban rain forest, yeah it's kind of like that. There's also a river on the left where all the salmon and baby bears mingle/swim.

Artist: Living In Polaroids
Album: Not yet released
Genre: Indie, Acoustic, Pop
Recommended: Beyond Good And Evil, A Song For Crystal
Living In Polaroids is a one girl band formed by Kristina Stapelfeld. She will be playing at The Creek and the Cave up in Long Island on December 28th. If anyone is in town during that time, you should come with. I've never heard her sing but her talking voice pretty much "had me at hello" to put it in a really, ridiculously cheesy way. I guess if you really want a comparison (voice-wise) with other artists, I would say that she's the potential love child of Tracyanne Campbell & Carey Lander (as Siamese Twins) from Camera Obscura and Tegan & Sara (as Siamese Twins, again). But if you want to get all scientific and want an example that's humanly possible, she could be Joanna Newsom and Stuart Murdoch from Belle & Sebastian's child ...and Jenny Lewis can be her babysitter. Haha it doesn't get any better than that.

Anyway, it's 5 in the morning and I don't think I can go on with this. Next time I'll probably be in my metalcore, emo screamo extremo mood so put on your pants and get ready for some hardcore shiznit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey hannah,
thanks for the nice review of the reni laine record i produced!
lots of love,
dp
http://www.flowny.com